Milling of titanium alloy
Titanium alloys are frequently used in aerospace applications. For an OEM aerospace customer looking to mill a titanium alloy under lubricated conditions with a ball nose end mill, we are looking for a coating that helps reduce the difficulty machining titanium. The intended machining process has a cutting speed of 135 m per minute, an axial depth of 0.4 mm and a radial depth of 0.2 mm.
- Low thermal conductivity of the material (heat is transferred to the tool and not through the chips)
- Generally high cutting forces
- Possible chemical reaction which leads to cutting edge breakage
- High temperature resistance
- No interaction with titanium
- The ability to maintain sharp cutting edges
Our coating recommendation
Optimizer™ Plus is the latest premium coating of the Ionbond plus-family. At the top of our product line, and in addition to Crosscut™ Plus, this new AlCrN based coating is the optimal coating for we…
Get in touch
Discuss your challenges with Kalpak Shaha
Dr. Kalpak Shaha, Global Segment Manager Cutting Tools, will be glad to support you.
We will get back to you as soon as possible
Dr. Kalpak Shaha