Boosting the performance of industrial machinery
Coatings for Industrial Components
Industrial machinery often operates under adverse conditions such as high contact loads, aggressive environments, lack of lubrication or the presence of abrasive particulate. IHI Ionbond’s PVD, CVD and PACVD coatings are used in countless industrial machinery applications to improve the performance of these components.
The Tribobond™ and Ionbond™ CVD families of coatings help increase durability and extend maintenance intervals, even becoming enabling elements without which operation is not possible. The coatings are specifically designed to accommodate applications in diverse industries, including aerospace, transportation, power generation and general engineering.
Why should I choose coatings from Ionbond?
- Dramatically reduced wear rates in mechanical contacts
- Reduced friction losses and heat generation, leading to wear reduction and more efficient use of energy sources
- Operation under starved lubrication conditions or without lubrication
- No post-coating machining/grinding due to low coating thickness
- Environmentally safe alternative to electroplating
- Modest costs
- Unique surface properties, e.g. electrical insulation, modified wettability, etc.
The versatile properties of the Tribobond™ and Ionbond™ CVD coatings makes the perfect solution to meet the challenges that modern mechanical components are exposed to.
- Sliding lubricated and dry contacts
- Abrasive wear
- Erosion (hard particles, cavitation etc.)
- Adhesive wear - galling/cold welding
- Friction reduction in boundary and mixed lubrication regimes
- Providing extended life in oil-out situations
- Friction reduction under dry conditions
- Wear protection in selected corrosive media
- Corrosion protection in non-wear applications
Green alternative to electroplating
Electroplating processes are being phased out, driven by legislation. This requires an alternative that can meet environmental standards. Thin film coatings, produced by environmentally sound PVD and PACVD technologies, are such an alternative. They provide outstanding protection against fretting, galling and abrasion, while being fully REACH and RoHS compliant. Moreover, unlike hard chromium plating, TribobondTM coatings do not require post-machining, which results in lower overall component manufacturing costs.
Our certifications for industrial components
Coating applications for industrial components
Ionbond PVD, PACVD, and CVD coatings are proven to boost performance components in several markets.